Lake Fork has over 10 fishing tournaments each year. Some fishing tournaments are local to Texas while others are nationwide events. All tournaments require online registration ahead of time. There is a special tournament almost every month and some months even have several happening at the same time. Weekly tournaments also have local and visitor participants.
- Texas Trails Bassmaster’s is a fishing club that does tournaments on Lake Fork as well as other surrounding lakes in the area. There is a tournament every month that is usually hosted on Saturdays and a yearly two-day championship. All tournaments have a five-fish limit. The two men who founded the club are all about having fun and helping each other when out on the water.
- JC Outdoor Tournaments has several different types of series of tournaments. The first one is a solo serious where there are one adult angler and five fish limit for each boat. In March through June, there is a qualifying event, with the championship being hosted in July.
Lake Fork also has a series each spring and fall. All of the series are for amateurs only and guides and pros are not allowed to participate. The series is great for groups and beginners and the tournament has a relaxing and friendly atmosphere. For the spring, tournament days are once a month March through July with the championship being in July. For the fall, tournaments are September through December.
3. The Lake Fork Classic is a great way to fish as well as get involved with the local community. All fees and donations during this tournament go to Camp John Marc, a nonprofit organization that centers around giving kids safe camping and outdoor adventures. The tournament usually takes place in April and has a one-time $75 registration fee.
4. Mad Dog Moore Memorial Bass Tournament is an annual event to honor the life and legacy of police officer Michael David “Mad Dog” Moore. All proceeds benefit the Shriner’s Hospital for Children.
5. The Legend of Lake Fork Bass Tournament is every year during the third week of March. All boats are welcome. The tournament features over $210,000 in prizes and all benefits go to the Make a Wish Foundation.
In February, Lake Fork hosts the Bass Champs Tournament and the Media Bass Team Tournament. Both tournaments are aimed toward experienced anglers and giving local fishermen recognition for their skills.
March is the busiest month for outdoor tournaments. Crappie USA is the largest one, and it is for amateurs and semi-pros. Crappie USA was created to have a family-oriented and cost-effective tournament. Crappie Anglers of Texas has two events every year in March and is geared towards organizing events to educate people about becoming a crappie angler. People of all experience levels are welcome. The Texas Bass Mafia tournament is for people of all ages and skill levels who are interested in and passionate about bass fishing.
April is the month for the JC Outdoor Spring Series and the Lake Fork Classic. Along with these annual events, anglers can participate in the Patriot Sporting Challenge. The PSC is always a two-day event usually the second weekend of April. The first day always has a gun shooting event, golf games, and the Celebration of Patriotism. The second day is for the fishing tournament with an awards reception at the end.
Each May, there is a fishing tournament for and in support of the Texas Troopers and police officers. All donations go to the local police departments and are centered on bass fishing.
Kids can come and participate in a fishing tournament in June called the Wood County Kid Fish. It is a catch-and-release event to help teach children how to fish using proper techniques. Its goal is to encourage children to spend more time outdoors than inside on technological devices.
Victory Fishing Event happens every July. The first-place prize is always over $10,000 with additional prizes and door prizes as well. There is also a Victory Weekend Series in August, as well as the Hook N’ Cook Sand Bass Tournament.
The McDonald’s Big Bass Splash is every September on the Lake Fork Marina. The event has over $500,000 in cash prizes, as well as prizes for basses caught of almost every size. The event is hosted by Sealy Outdoors.
October has the Bass Cat Texas Owners Tournament. All participants must be a Bass Cat owner and there is a five-fish limit. Scoring is based on the combined weight of all five fish. Winners qualify to compete in the national Bass Cat and Mercury National Team Championship.
Each November, Lake Fork has the Texas High School Bass Association Tournament. This is a tournament for all divisions of Texas high school students to compete to catch the largest bass.
While some fishing tournaments have been canceled in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Lake Fork is committed to still hosting the majority of its tournaments. Almost all the tournaments follow CDC guidelines and have set up stations where people can regularly wash and sanitize their hands. They are also encouraging people to stay six feet part in registration lines and when on the piers and ramps.
Since most tournaments are a whole week or a weekend-long, many people choose to stay along the lake in vacation rentals or Lake Fork cabins. The rentals and campgrounds also have grills perfect for cookouts. Piers have fish cleaning stations where people can clean and prepare the fish they just caught.
Since each month on Lake Fork offers a tournament, visitors are encouraged to visit the lake all year round. Come and enjoy freshly caught fish, beautiful lake views, and outdoor activities every month at the beautiful Lake Fork.